How to Delete Spotify Account [Tutorial]
In case you don’t use Spotify anymore and prefer other options like Amazon Music or Apple Music, it makes sense to delete the account and stop the subscription altogether. Let’s find out how to delete Spotify account and cancel your subscription plan.
First of all, you need to realize that there are 2 separate actions you may take: close the account or cancel the subscription. Let’s see the difference.
When you close the account, you:
- Won’t be able to create a profile with the same username if you ever decide to come back;
- Will lose all the music, playlists, and followers the profile has;
When you cancel the subscription, however, you:
- Can keep the saved songs, playlists, and followers
- May use Radio, Running, and Party.
Keep in mind that if you are a Premium customer and you decide to delete your account, you need to cancel the subscription, too. On the other hand, if you just cancel it without deleting the account, you’ll be able to enjoy the free version and keep the playlists.
Step-by-step instruction on how to delete Spotify account
- Visit the Spotify official site and go to the homepage.
- Sign in if needed.
- Pick Help from the Menu.
- Find “delete Spotify account” or “close account” using the search bar.
- The drop-down menu will show you some options. Pick the needed one, i.e. Close account.
- Scroll down the page it redirected you to and click on the link that says “If you’d still like to go ahead, you can close your account here.”
- This link will take you to a contact page where you follow the instructions.
- Choose “I want to close my Spotify account permanently” and click on “Close account”.
That’s it. While the procedure seems so long, it actually takes only a couple of minutes. So, if you still wonder how to delete Spotify account, you only need to follow this step-by-step instruction.
Useful tips you should know
When you’ve made up your mind to close the account, you’ll have to use your PC. That’s the only way how to delete Spotify account. The app doesn’t support the feature.
If you do it because you don’t think you’ll need it any time soon, it’s probably wise to cancel the subscription only. It won’t cost you anything anymore but you’ll be able to get back. You’ll be able to delete your free account later.
Remember that you can’t cancel the subscription via smartphone either. This also requires logging in via your laptop or desktop computer.
If you have several accounts, make sure you delete the right one by checking the username and email used. In some cases, you’ll receive the email with the verification link. To delete your account just follow the link from the letter.
You are able to restore the account within 7 days from deleting it. Just don’t delete the goodbye letter. Using it, you can click on the Reactivate my account link and get things back. Otherwise, you’ll have to create a new account and create playlists/add music/gather followers from scratch.
If you are sure about the decision, you should also delete the apps on your laptop and smartphone afterward. Since you don’t need them now, you’ll be able to free up some space on your devices
Now you know how to delete Spotify account. It’s very simple and quick. Just follow the instructions to do it properly.